102. Tools and supplies needed


Before we get into the art of crochet, let's talk a little about the tools and supplies needed for crochet.

No need to go crazy and buy all the items from a store like pictured above - but there are a few items absolutely necessary to crochet.

The following items are absolutely vital for crocheting:

Yarn



Really any yarn will do for now, but it's best to start with something cheap(ish), and easy to work with. I love Bernat Super Value, because it is affordable, comes in many lovely colors, and has the ideal beginner's weight.

If that is not available around you, look for a 100% acrylic worsted weight yarn, or gauge 4. That should get you started just fine!

Crochet hooks



I would recommend to get a set that ranges from 2mm up to 6mm (B to J USA size).

For super bulky yarn, add hooks all the way up to 10mm (size P in USA terms) You can get a full set of bamboo or aluminum hooks for only a few dollars from several sellers.

Scissors




Any old pair will do to cut the yarn - Unless you have sharp teeth.

Yarn needle




For those (hopefully rare) moments you do need to weave in your ends, or sew two pieces together.

Stitch markers




Not only paramount for marking a certain stitch, but also for making sure your crochet-in-progress does not unravel when your kitty runs with your work!

Make sure you get the kind that has an opening (the closed ring type that knitters use is not suitable for crochet). I prefer to use the "safety pin" type of marker as pictured above, some use just a paperclip or a string of contrasting yarn. Whatever works for you!

Row counter




Anything will do, even pen and paper but I bought the Clover Knitting Counter Mini Kacha-Kacha - it puts a smile on my face very time I use it.

Pouch




You will need a place to put all that stuff in when not in use right? In time, you can even crochet your own pouch... but in the meantime, use a pencil case or toiletry/cosmetics bag to drag around your hooks, scissors, stitch markers etc.

I'm a huge Kipling bags fan, and I found the Creativity X the perfect pouch for all my crocheting needs. It has ample room and literally a million zippers and compartments to keep everything together... ok... literally literally it has five... but I guess you know what I mean. Any crochet fan wants to be organized!

Yarn Winder




Ok... perhaps not VITAL for crochet, but I don't know what I would do without my trusted little friend... it's a true life, er, yarn saver! Before, I was driving my husband absolutely bonkers with boxes upon boxes of tangled yarn, ends and bits flying all over the place. He was in a constant panic that one day one of the cats would swallow a thread and (insert horrible mental images here, as he did). No more now, this $16 device winds all my yarn in neat little squares which I then stow away in a medium size Ziploc bag. If I were any more organized, I'd be dangerous!

Optional items


Sometimes a project needs additional items (such as a ribbon, buttons or rings). I will make sure to mention any material needed with the project itself.

Make sure you bring some imagination and a little patience and you are on your way to success. I can't believe the number of times I ripped the yarn back to the very beginning!

Now that you have all the tools needed, let's continue with the next step... how to hold your hook and yarn.

Comments