103. How to hold the hook and yarn


When I first started looking into crocheting, I noticed a Huge Rift - the Issue of How to Hold the Hook. There are two camps, they are fighting like crazy... it's ugly... but not to worry, I will cover both methods and you can pick the one that suits your hand (or personality) best.

The two methods are to hold the hook like a knife, the other is to hold it like a pen or pencil. This tutorial will also cover how to hold the yarn with your non-dominant hand to create the right amount of tension.

So take your pick, pencil/pen:


Or knife.


As for holding the yarn, I have seen many methods. Some involve sticking out the index finger at impossible angles... or twisting the yarn around various other fingers in intriguing patterns. Some methods looks quite cramp inducing - but if you have been taught that way and feel comfortable with it, by all means keep on doing so.

With all due respect! I find the following methods that I saw featured in several videos painful to watch and looks to me potentially harmful in the long run. The pointy finger:


Or even more painful, the bent index finger. My finger wouldn't even do it and started protesting after 2 seconds!


However, I find the easiest method to wind the yarn around my little finger just once, and then behind the index finger to create tension. Like so:


Look how both her hands are completely relaxed and in a natural position. I'm sure she can crochet for hours without feeling any tension. Interestingly, the above is an image I found at a site that was advocating taking up crochet to relax. Can't be a coincidence, right?

I'm sure you will find your favorite method in no time... so with the 101 (and 2 and 3) of crocheting covered, let's do some projects!

Comments